View the most recent posts on the forum.

Author Topic: Sharpening Hand Ice Auger Blades  (Read 2656 times)

Offline Slush Walker

• Stoking the Woodstove
  • Embracing the Boreal
    • View Profile
Sharpening Hand Ice Auger Blades
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:15:41 pm »
Does anyone have advice or techniques for sharpening Mora ice auger blades?
"It is possible to live wisely on the land, and to live well. And in behaving respectfully toward all that the land contains, it is possible to imagine a stifling ignorance falling away from us."  -Barry Lopez

Offline ravinerat

• Living Large At -40
    • View Profile
Re: Sharpening Hand Ice Auger Blades
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:28 am »
I've tried but it never held an edge more than one day. I ruined a few blades trying different ways. Even had one of those guys that come down the ringing a bell but they destroyed my blades. I started to take them to a place that a guy used a lazer lathe or some device. Your manufacture will usually sharpen your old set but the shipping can cost more.

RR
Time waits for no one!

Offline acurrier

• Hauling Sled
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:07:48 pm »
I just bought myself one of those this year. I still have the box at home, there is a phone number on there for the manufacturer sharpening service I believe. When I get home I can copy it down for you if you'd like.

Otherwise, my advice would be to strop it like a knife. All I know about sharpening those blades is that you always want to sharpen from the top, not the bottom. You can't mess with the blade profile or it won't cut properly.

Offline lost_patrol

• Stoking the Woodstove
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 11:56:13 pm »
Does anyone have advice or techniques for sharpening Mora ice auger blades?

I've found that it's possible to sharpen them with a bench grinder.  The secret of success is to adjust the rest so that the beveled part of the blade lies against the revolving stone at exactly the same angle as the original bevel.  Acurrier is right when he advises "you can't mess with the blade profile or it won't cut properly."  Don't try to sharpen the back of the blade even a little bit.  It has to be absolutely flat, just the way it came from the factory.
"Give me winter, give me dogs.  You can keep the rest."  - Knud Rasmussen
"Ride like you stole something." - Lance Armstrong

Offline hydro

• Coming in From the Cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:21:45 am »
I used to sharpen my own Mora blades, but I suggest you just buy new ones. The blades must be ground on the top bevel, exactly the same as the original grind, which changes angle along the blade. If you blue the edge when grinding, throw them out. Then they need to be lapped on a hard stone, and finally stropped to an edge. Unless you have some experience and talent at doing this the chances of success are small. If you take care of the factory sharpened blades they will last several seasons and are really not that costly when you look at it that way.

Offline steambender

• Warming Up
    • View Profile
    • woodspirit
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:09:35 pm »
sharpening is one of the most underrated skills....one must to be able to sharpen well. not just a bush knife, but anything, and well...being able to cut paper cleanly or some such does not necessarily mean anything. get a good book there are lot's of them out there...and get some high quality sharpening equipment(no power tools to start)not from the hardware store or those plastic diamond things, but real professional stones or systmes. look to the woodworking world for info.  get practice sharpen everything and anything you can....it takes many hours to learn to sharpen well...and many i mean 100's. do not underestimate this. once you get the hang of it and have some breakthroughs in understanding what is actually sharp and how to get there.... then you can move on to curved blades with changing bevels....it would be a good class and be 3 days long to get some of the basics down. until then send in those blades or you will be buying new ones and will end up costing you more. always put blade guard back on right away...protect the edge.